The future is not foreseeable. Even the word ‘storm’ frightens people. Nevertheless, in this article we’re going to go over the guidelines that will help you know what to do, and how to protect yourself in a storm or various kinds of Storms; Snow Storms, Sand and Dust Storms, Winter Storms, and Lightning Storms.
These guidelines will help you keep yourself and your dear ones safe and secure during such a natural disaster.
1. Before the storm, check the news on and off or your local weather station for safety updates and tips on how to deal with the storm. If you are told to evacuate your house, follow all instructions carefully.
2. One must stay away from trees, electrical wires and towers and other metal objects.
3. If you are in the water, you must immediately get out and go to a dry area as soon as possible. Do not swim during a storm. Stay inside to be safe.
4. Do not drive if it is raining heavily or if the roads are flooded. If there is no shelter nearby, just lay low, squat, or sit down with your feet close, do not lie down.
5. If in case your car stops working, leave the car immediately and move to a higher ground.
6. If you must leave your house, make sure to switch off all electrical appliances before leaving.
7. Attempt to maintain contact with family members, friends and neighbors to make sure everyone is safe.
8. If any person is struck by lightning call the nearest police department and get medical care immediately.
9. Avoid using water in any form. Stay away from showers, sinks and do not walk around floodwaters as they are highly dangerous.
10. Always use a surge protector, these are safety plugs and are highly recommended for all electrical devices and appliances, if you do not have surge protectors, immediately unplug all electronic equipment.
11. Sometimes you get stuck in a storm even with the best precautions. If your are outside, move from a higher level to a lower level ground. Always stay away from any isolated objects.
12. You should stock up your supplies for three to four days at least, because you never know how long the storm would last.
13. Keep a note of all emergency numbers in case any situation occurs.
14. Switch off the Main Power Box or Switch, including the Main Gas Valve to avoid any mishaps.
15. If you are outside and there is no sign of shelter, stay low and call for help if in danger.
16. Even after the storm is clear, keep yourself updated with the weather channel or radio.
17. After the storm, if you are asked to go back to your house or you wish to go back make sure it is safe to return and if your house or building is in a bad state, stay away and call for help.
18. Always keep a safety supply kit and a first aid kit stocked up, which consists of all medication required by any member of the family, food and other necessities. Ensure to keep all important documents like passports and papers safely in waterproof containers. Keep it on the high shelves to protect them from being swept away or getting damaged.
No one can predict the future, no one can say what is going to happen next. But the more careful you are the better it is for you and your family.